However, our most popular sensory product remains Crazy Aaron’s Thinking Putty. So here are a few facts you may or may not know about Thinking Putty:
- Thinking Putty is designed for play and is great for stress relief. You can knead it, snap it, stretch it, pop it and bounce it.
- There are over 40 colours and effects.
- At Young Thinkers Guild our most popular putties are blue.
- Thinking Putty types vary from firm glow-in-the-darks to super soft memory putties which unwind in your hand to heat sensitive colour changers, to magnetics and to putties you can write on with UV torches.
- Thinking Putty is silicone-based and contains no latex, gluten, wheat compounds, or phthalates.
Crazy Aaron’s real name is Aaron Muderick. He created the first Thinking Putties in 1998 as something for adults to fidget with at work after feeling the need to “fidget” while employed as a computer scientist. At 10 years old, his dream was to build a time machine and nowadays he has been a volunteer fireman and can often be found blowing things up in his backyard (we wonder if that is related?).
*Mask from http://www.puttyblog.com/ Nov 01, 2010
One of the most heart-warming tales we have heard about Thinking Putty here at Young Thinkers Guild was about the child who loved his putty so much that he slept with the tin of putty between his feet.
The best warning tale we heard about taking care with Thinking Putty was the child who left his putty in an opened tin on the windowsill. Coming back into the room later he saw the cat sitting on the windowsill and when the cat moved he found the putty had disappeared. Yes, you’ve guessed it – the putty had become attached to the cat’s tail! Unfortunately for the cat the putty had sunk in and had to be cut out of his hair, so please keep Thinking Putty away from hair and animals.
If you have problems with putty in places it doesn’t belong, like skin, hair, and fabrics, Crazy Aaron recommends rubbing alcohol, available from pharmacies (high percentage isopropyl alcohol not antiseptic ethyl rubbing alcohol which won’t work) to loosen or dissolve the putty. See https://puttyworld.com/apps/help-center#!there-is-thinking-putty-stuck-in-my-shirtpantsrugsofasheets-how-can-i-remove-it for more information and a video about removing putty.
In 2016 Crazy Aaron’s most popular Thinking Putty was Liquid Glass – while Liquid Glass is an amazing product, Young Thinkers Guild thinks this may in part be due to the YouTube video posted by VAT19 of a man sitting in a bath of Liquid Glass Putty! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_KAUcRBlWs